Thursday 30 May 2013

"Zhombeez!" (2000)...

I dug this out of my vaults today and uploaded it to YouTube.



Many years ago now - during the summer of 2000 - I made a simple stop-motion experiment with zombies that I crafted out of clay. Inspired by George A. Romero's "Day of the Dead", I also created an army figure styled somewhat after Captain Rhodes and did my own - rather basic (it was my first, and pretty much only, attempt at stop motion animation) - re-enactment of the infamous scene from Romero's landmark horror flick.


Click "READ MORE" below for more information about "Zhombeez!"...


This short was originally edited 'in-camera', as my Sony Hi8 video camera rewind the tape if it powered down, so it was always a mad rush (you had a maximum of five minutes before it powered down) ... and my patience was pretty thin in my teenage years, so the animation was pretty limited.

It was re-edited in 2004, and now in 2013 to put it up on YouTube - but don't expect anything fancy in any way, shape, or form. However, just out of interest, here is one of my earliest short films (albeit not in it's very original form).

Why the name "Zhombeez!"? It's an in-joke with some friends from my time at university, who would joke (in a nice way) about my adoration for the zombie genre - and "Zhombeez!" was their immitation of me all excited for another zombie movie.

Originally this was two separate animations (neither of which had a title), there was far more of the 'snapshot' images, some strange interludes with words and images on the sheets of newspaper surrounding the animation 'set', and featured music from the soundtrack for "A Clockwork Orange". It has since been trimmed down a bit, royalty free music has been added, and some sound effects.

No comments: